Rock Mechanics Lab Scientist Job Vacancy in United States – Texas – Houston, Texas (USA)
Provides technical investigations into and innovations for the characterization of tight rock, such as shales and caprock. Perform applied research on experimental rock mechanics related to the coupling between reservoir rock mechanical properties, flow properties and related processes.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Carries out original investigations relating to technical problems outside the scope of available literature.
- Perform analysis of laboratory testing results and develop innovative laboratory methods to accurately estimate reservoir mechanical properties and its coupling with the reservoir flow properties for tight, very low permeability porous media (such as shale or CapRock).
- Conduct research and maintain awareness of novel developments in the area of experimental rock mechanics related to unconventional reservoir characterization and development.
- Research topics to include interactions of CO2 with shale or CapRock and effect on geomechanical and transport properties.
- Conduct core sample characterization, preparation and analysis for rock mechanics lab testing.
- Apply research results to unconventional reservoirs and tight rocks by working with proponents on the operation side and identify new research needs to support the operation by analyzing field data including geological, petrophysical, completion and production data.
- Undertake applied research or specific problems leading to new reservoir characterization and development technologies.
- Interface with external institution(s) for outsourced analyses and collaborative research as appropriate. Work with commercial vendors for acquisition, support and upgrades of related equipment used in the research.
- Prepare comprehensive written reports on results of R&D activities that address technical issues for the unconventional reservoirs under development by Saudi Aramco.
- Represent ASC at outside technical meetings or conferences.
- Prepare and make presentations to management, for the company and government agencies, if warranted, illustrating research problems, results and conclusions.
- Publish research results in peer-reviewed journals.
- Maintains and updates his/her working knowledge of applicable state-of- the-art laboratory instrumentation.
- Provide and manage a safe, accident-free laboratory environment. Follow all company safety rules in performing job duties.
- Lead collaborative research with other R&D areas of the company, e.g., analytical chemistry, process engineering, applications, etc. for increased intellectual property opportunities and future business advancement of ASC or Saudi Aramco. Publish in relevant journals and present in conferences.
- Serves as a project leader or participates in major investigative projects as assigned.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
- B.S. degree in Petroleum Engineering, Geotechnical Engineering, Civil Engineering or similar areas; Master’s or PhD in the related areas is highly preferred
- To fulfill the requirements of this job, the incumbent must be a fully qualified engineer with five (5) years experience
- Post-graduate experience with focus on experimental rock mechanics related to unconventional reservoirs or tight systems is desirable
- Experience with modeling coupled hydro-mechanical processes is desirable
- Familiarity with computer programming using Python, C++ and MatLab is desirable
- Track record of publications in reputable peer-reviewed journals as the first author is strongly preferred
- Ability to prepare highly technical reports and memoranda; be able to make oral/graphic presentations to all levels of management
- The initiation, development and completion of major engineering studies require intelligence and imagination and comprehensive knowledge in all aspects of Petroleum Engineering
- Position often requires original and unique approach and solution to difficult and diversified engineering problems
- Must be able to communicate and comprehend English accurately, clearly and concisely at a level required to perform the job as outlined
- Must possess good work habits, a strong work ethic, and be able to adhere to company work hours, policies, and standard business etiquette
Requisition ID 866
NO THIRD PARTY CANDIDATES ACCEPTED