Assesses triages, monitors patients throughout labour and assists physicians with deliveries and patient care as per scope of practice. Provides antenatal, postnatal care, breastfeeding advice and support to women, their babies, their partners and families. Works within a team of professional and medical staff that includes doctors, nurses, other healthcare providers and visiting doulas. Rotates shifts to meet patient care requirements.
Midwifery in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Midwifery in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates. It will cover some of the aspects and challenges of this profession and this city.
About Abu Dhabi
Abu Dhabi is the capital and the largest of the seven emirates that make up the UAE. It is a modern and cosmopolitan city with a rich cultural heritage and a diverse population. It is also home to some of the best healthcare facilities in the region.
What do midwives do?
Midwives provide care and support to women and their families during pregnancy, labor, delivery and postnatal period. They work in collaboration with other healthcare professionals, such as obstetricians, gynecologists, pediatricians and nurses. They also educate women about their health and well-being, and empower them to make informed choices.
Why choose midwifery as a career?
Midwifery is a rewarding and fulfilling career that involves witnessing the miracle of life every day and helping women bring their babies into the world safely and joyfully. It also involves working in a multicultural environment where different perspectives and experiences can be learned from.
What are some of the challenges of midwifery in Abu Dhabi?
However, midwifery in Abu Dhabi also has some challenges. There are some cultural and linguistic barriers that have to be overcome sometimes. For example, some women may prefer to have a female doctor or midwife attend their delivery, while others may have different expectations or preferences regarding pain relief or breastfeeding. Midwives have to respect their wishes and adapt to their needs, while also following the best practices and standards of care.
Another challenge is keeping up with the latest developments and innovations in midwifery. The field of obstetrics and gynecology is constantly evolving and advancing, so midwives have to update their knowledge and skills regularly. They attend workshops, seminars and conferences whenever they can, and they also read journals and articles online.
How to learn more about midwifery?
To conclude, midwifery in Abu Dhabi is a rewarding career that allows making a positive difference in people’s lives. If interested in becoming a midwife or learning more about this profession, visit the website of the International Confederation of Midwives (ICM).
- Provide effective and organized nursing care to patients in Labor and Delivery unit
- Perform initial and ongoing assessments of patients in Labor and delivery
- Use electronic fetal monitoring with CTG and central monitoring system (ie OB TV)
- Initiate Intravenous Therapy as per Doctors orders
- Receive the newborn immediately after delivery
- Provide medical assistance and patient care in emergency situations
- Participate in code drills, code blue team and code purple (Obstetric Emergencies) as required
- Act as Team Leader and delegate tasks in the absence of the Charge Midwife
- Monitor labor progress, fetal heart rate and notify Physician as needed
- Assist laboring patient with breathing exercises, pain management techniques and pain medication
- Prepare birthing room for delivery using sterile technique
- Assist Physician with oxytocin inductions and monitor labor progress accordingly
- Follow IV protocols as per hospital policy/guidelines
- Assist Physician with artificial rupture of membranes, sterile vaginal examinations or other procedures
- Perform immediate post-delivery care of mother, fundal massage, vital signs, blood loss monitoring and promote newborn/parent bonding
- Perform deliveries in emergency situations as per scope of practice
- Perform the Appropriateness review of medications before preparing and administering them
- Assess, examine and triage walk in patients who are directed to L&D assessment room and coordinate appropriate care and medical intervention
- Coordinate with the Obstetrician, Neonatologist / Pediatrician and other allied workers to provide comprehensive care to mother and child
- Prepare mothers for cesarean sections and assist doctors with medication administration as per scope for practice
- Promote breastfeeding, skin to skin bonding after delivery
- Know about Stem cell collection
- Assist in receiving newborns in emergency caesarians in the absence of the NICU nurse
- Identify high risk pregnancies and communicate with doctors and other medical specialists as required
- Collect specimens, bloods for diagnostic testing and critical values
- Order blood products and monitor patients when receiving blood products
- Manage and care for Obstetric emergencies as per protocols
- Encourage participation of family member/partner in the birth to support the mother and enhance bonding and family relationships
- Provide appropriate health education to patients and their family
- Offer support and advice following events such as miscarriage, stillbirth, neonatal abnormality and neonatal death
- Demonstrate competency in the skills needed to support the woman during childbirth
- Demonstrate in depth knowledge of monitoring a patient in all stages of labor, fetal condition and pain management drugs
- Comply with the Disposal of Human Tissue Policy
- Respect woman’s preferences throughout labor and delivery, as per birth plan or request
- Provide safe and effective intra-partum care
- Perform nursing procedures with accuracy, patient safety and comfort, including those requiring aseptic technique.
- Perform neonatal resuscitation when needed
- Foster and facilitate peer teaching activities in a clinical setting
- Perform administrative activities, such as:
- Perform under pressure
- Maintain and update patient documentation / medical records as per hospital policy and procedure
- Follow the reporting mechanisms / chain of command in the nursing services department
- Utilize equipment and supplies economically and assist the head nurse to maintain ward stock
- Participate in Quality improvement projects and KPI’s
- Check crash cart as per the checklist
- Complete annual nursing competencies and assist in assessing other staff in L&D
- Maintain inventory checklist of medications, including high alert medications and narcotics
- Maintain inventory checklist of Hazmat items using Material Safety Data Sheet
- Complete all the details in the labor and delivery register
- Ensure preventative and ongoing maintenance of equipment and report failures or deficiencies
- Adhere to all hospital policies and procedures
- Participate in fire safety, patient safety, infection control and other precautionary measures
- Take responsibility for professional clinical practice and continuing education
- Comply with OSH and infection control policies, standards and procedures
- Be familiar with emergency and evacuation procedures
- Notify OSH Hazards, incidents, Near misses and issues and assist with risk assessments, incident reports
- Attend OSH/Infection control training programs, mock drills and awareness programs
- Use appropriate personal protective equipment and safety systems
- Perform any other assigned responsibilities as identified by the Charge Midwife / Nursing Supervisor / Nursing Director
QUALIFICATION, LICENSURE, EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, SPECIAL SKILLS:
- Have a Bachelor of Science degree in nursing or equivalent of at least 3 years’ study duration from an accredited program, plus midwifery Certificate (at least 1 year syllabus) or Direct Entry Midwifery degree (at least 3-year curriculum)
- Have current Basic Life Support (BLS) certificate and Neonatal Resuscitation Program (NRP) certificate
- Have current license in country of origin and with HAAD license to practice in Abu Dhabi, UAE
- Have at least 2 years of experience as a Midwife in maternity hospital or appropriate setting (preferred)
- Review procedures and implement new models of service delivery to satisfy client and organizational requirements
- Show commitment to quality outcomes and consult with staff regarding continuous improvement
- Have excellent command of English language and Arabic language (advantageous/desirable but not essential)
- Have a “can do” and flexible approach
- Demonstrate highly developed communication and organizational skills at all levels
- Provide compassionate care that is respectful to patients’ cultural preferences while keeping in line with regulating bodies (JCI, HAAD)
- Have knowledge of computer skills including Microsoft Word and Excel
- Work autonomously with minimal supervision and in a team within a complex clinical setting
- Demonstrate knowledge and practice of confidentiality policy
- Demonstrate self-directed thinking, continued proficiency and initiative in problem solving when providing patient care in the clinical setting.
- Job Identification 1616
- Job Category Nursing
- Apply Before 06/30/2023, 12:59 PM
- Job Schedule Full time
- Locations Khalifa City, Abu Dhabi, AE