American Hospital is a technologically advanced hospital in Dubai led by world-class medical experts.
BMT Staff Nurse Job Vacancy in Dubai, United Arab Emirates
POSITION TITLE: BONE MARROW TRANSPLANT/APHERESIS REGISTERED NURSE
A registered BMT/Hematology and Apheresis Staff Nurse who provides direct patient care and coordinate patient care – related activities using scientific process of nursing. Nursing care given to BMT/Hematology / Apheresis adult and Paediatric, allogenic, and autologous Patients.
- Performs all duties and tasks as per the hospital Code of Conduct and in line with the hospital Vision and Mission.
- Accepts additional duties, within the scope of practice in periods of higher workload, and need s and as assigned by Clinic Manager
- Maintain regular working hours as per the employee contract
- Promotes and participates in departmental teamwork.
- Identifies and understands the objectives of the department and hospital and supports and assists Management in fulfilling these.
- Actively participates in all quality and performance improvement activities within the department and the hospital as per the Performance Improvement and Patient Safety Program.
- Adheres to all hospital policies, processes, procedures, and standards as outlined in official documents, employee contract, job description and regulations
- Responds timely and accurately to all requests and inquiries (effective communication and assertiveness).
- Communicates in a clear manner including communication through internal mail (electronic and paper) and refrains from using aggressive tones and mannerism during these.
- Responds promptly and positively to patients, families, co-workers, and all others in a respectful, courteous, and confidential manner
- Maintains open communication with all staff throughout the hospital, regulatory agencies, and community.
- Empathetic and reassuring when communicating sensitive information and advice to staff. Persuasive and reassuring are required.
- Treats all colleagues, patients, and visitors with dignity & respects. Ensures communication and working relationships are effective.
- Promotes a “blame free” culture of transparency with a friendly and open working environment for all employees.
- Performs history and physical assessments of patients that are accurate, complete, concise, relevant, and appropriate for age, gender, and clinical problem.
- Use own initiative and perform duties and tasks within assigned period, due dates and in the required format.
- Promote and contribute to the overall Culture of Safety.
- Develops, implements, evaluates, and alters the plan of care as needed.
- Provide direct and individualized nursing care to patients based on the application of scientific nursing principles.
- Understanding the protocols of various high-dose chemotherapy agents, Bone Marrow or Stem Cell Harvest and its preservation and infusion process.
- Understand the difference between administering Cryopreserved and fresh Stem Cells.
- Assess, diagnose, and manage the clinical needs of Bone Marrow Transplant patients in the unit.
- Screen patients for disease or communicate diagnostic decisions based on interpretation of clinical and other findings such as laboratory results or radiology reports.
- Uses effective communication skills with patients and staff; demonstrates telephone techniques and etiquette; acts as an escort to any patient or family member needing directions; shows sensitivity to differences of culture; demonstrates a positive and supportive way patients / families/ colleagues perceive interactions as positive and supportive. Exhibits teamwork skills to positively acknowledge and recognize other colleagues and uses personal experiences to model and teach.
- Devise individual care plans utilizing all available resources, including specific protocols, and taking into consideration the lifestyle, gender and cultural background of the patient and ensuring involvement with the patient, family, and significant others.
- Ensures a safe working environment through compliance with hospital policies and procedures regarding safety, infection control, and security.
- Demonstrates an understanding of and adheres to privacy, confidentiality, and security policies and procedures related to Protected Health Information (PHI) or other sensitive and personal information.
- Manages basic life support needs and stabilizes based upon nursing standards and protocol
- Maintenance and care of Central or Peripheral Lines including Assessing line site and patency regularly, keeping infection control and prevention as a priority.
- Demonstrates highly competent skills in the action to be taken has an adverse reaction to the Stem Cells infusion.
- Demonstrates highly competent skills in handling BMT patients who are at a severe risk of infections and other complications.
- Understands the responsibilities of safe handling, and administration of Cytotoxic Drugs and documentation as directed by policies and procedures.
- Demonstrates the knowledge and skills required in recognizing potential emergency situations specifically Extravasations and Anaphylactic reactions.
- Demonstrates highly competent skills in loading, priming, running, rinse back and disconnected Apheresis Machine when applicable.
- Demonstrates the knowledge and skills required in recognizing potential emergency situations specifically Citrate toxicity (ACDA), Procedure related Complications and Hypersensitivity reaction when applicable.
- . Demonstrates the knowledge and skills required in handling troubleshooting of Apheresis machine when applicable.
- Demonstrates the knowledge and skills required in Bladder irrigation according to policy and procedure
- Intervenes and manages codes and other emergency situations competently. Actively participates in mock codes
- Safely monitor patients throughout Stem cells infusion therapy.
- Manage cytotoxic, blood and blood products spills
- Ensures safe and effective administration of blood and blood products and importance of irradiated blood and blood products for BMT Patients.
- Assists doctors in the procedures like Bone Marrow Aspiration/ Biopsy, Lumbar Puncture and Intrathecal Chemotherapy administration as directed by policies and procedures.
- Performs hemodynamic monitoring. Observing results of vital parameters referring to baseline
- Ensures proper documentation of patient’s condition to evaluate effectiveness of care.
- Provides psychological support and counselling to patient prior, during and after treatments.
- Performs POCT (Point of Care testing), Hemocue, Glucometer, Urine analysis and dipstick
- Demonstrates ability to prioritize tasks ensuring effective functioning of the area. Sets priorities and plans implementation of patient care; implementation of care is completed in a timely, organized manner and follows AHD nursing standards and policy and procedure.
- Follows the chain of command in reporting incidents or concerns.
- Prioritizes workload and completes correspondence in a timely manner.
- Demonstrates an understanding of cultural difference among customers and colleagues, demonstrates sensitivity and tolerance to cultural differences
- Promotes incident, customer complaint reporting to improve patient and family care.
- Provides information to prospective customers and hospital staff by answering all specific inquiries regarding international patients’ queries.
- Demonstrates knowledge of, and the ability to, render care based on age appropriateness and developmental needs of patients.
- Reports adverse reactions to medications or treatments in accordance with the policy regarding the administration of medications.
- Involves patient, significant others and healthcare provider in patient’s plan of care and education.
- Provides and supports direct culturally acceptable care for patients and families.
- Monitor the patient’s response to treatment throughout BMT process.
- Caring of neutropenic patient and understanding the importance of specialized nursing care to neutropenic patients during stem cells transplant process.
- Educate patients and families/caregivers and donors regarding all aspects of transplantation/cellular therapy and serve as their Advocate.
- Displays professionalism while completing multiple urgent tasks in a timely manner
- Records all care information concisely, accurately, and completely, in a timely manner, in the appropriate format and on the appropriate forms.
- coordinates and promotes the clinical activities of adult and pediatric autologous and allogeneic HSC transplantation, and other cellular therapies. Schedule patient appointments with referring physicians, obtaining necessary demographic, financial and medical information. Provide written notification of appointment to both patient and referring physician
- Provide written notification of testing schedule to Donor/patient/caregiver.
- Conduct pre-treatment evaluation of recipients with the provider and educate regarding collection method.
- Secure insurance approval for all services scheduled, including transplant and cellular therapies. Prepare letter of medical necessity and pre-treatment evaluation results and submit to insurer.
- Participate in the HSCT patient care conferences, working closely with the outpatient/inpatient medical, nursing and support staff personnel.
- Collaborate with HSCT/cellular therapy team members in the development of standardized treatment/admission orders and patient care protocols.
- Demonstrates current BMT/ Hematology knowledge with the ability to recognize and apply acquired skills in rendering safe and effective quality nursing care for BMT/Apheresis Patient.
- Utilizes knowledge and skills in assessment and evaluation of actual and potential nursing needs of BMT patients.
- Work independently and collaboratively with a multi-disciplinary team of hospital professionals and services while patients undergo the transplant process. have a strong knowledge of Bone Marrow Transplant, the transplant process, and will be able to
- Bachelor’s Degree in nursing (duration not less than three years) or
- Diploma in Nursing (not less than three academic years in nursing only) or
- Diploma in Nursing and Midwifery (not less than three academic years)
- Current license to practice nursing in country of origin and with the DHA.
- BLS certification
- At least 2 years of nursing experience in Bone Marrow Transplantation/Hematology.
- Apheresis experience desirable.
- Communicate skill in Arabic& English are essential.
- Private hospital experience preferred.
- educate patients and families thoroughly throughout their care.
To apply for this job please visit fa-epvs-saasfaprod1.fa.ocs.oraclecloud.com.