This simple chili uses basic ingredients to make a proteinpacked main dish. Serve with bread or pour over rice or
potatoes for a quick, easy meal!
Makes: 4 servings
1/2 pound ground beef (or ground turkey)
1 can low-sodium kidney beans with liquid
(about 15 oz.)
1 cup low-sodium tomato sauce
1 tablespoon dried minced onion (or 1/4 cup chopped onion)
1 to 1-1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- In a large skillet, cook ground beef until browned.
- Drain off any fat.
- Stir in kidney beans with liquid, tomato sauce, onion, and chili powder.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- For a thinner chili, add water until soup is the desired consistency. I added some water toward the end of
simmering the chili in the picture above.
- Eat leftover chili within four days or freeze it.
- Avoid leaving chili at room temperature for more than two hours, total time.
- As this chili is so easy to make, you might prepare a double batch the next time you make it and freeze the
extra for later meals.